"Those who dance are considered to be insane by those who can't hear the music."
- anonymous


Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Pinto Beans & Corn Bread

One of my biggest problems is, not knowing what to make for dinner. So I've decided to start a list of foods I like to go through here. Hopefully this will make it easier for me to plan my meals.



Pinto Beans and Cornbread
2 cups dry pinto beans, rinsed with cool water
Water
Add Salt after the beans are ready, adding before will make beans tough
1/2 cup chopped onion (Optional)


Pour your rinsed beans into a large pot.  Cover with water about 2-3 inches above the tops of the beans.  Cover and allow to soak overnight.
The next day, drain the beans in a colander.  Return them to the pot, and cover with fresh water, at least 1 inch above the tops of the beans. Simmer the beans on low for 4-5 hours, or until the beans are nice and tender.  Alternatively, you can cook the beans on low in the crock pot for about 6 hours.
After the beans have cooked, season to taste with salt.
To serve, sprinkle each serving with salt on top and fresh diced onions.

Serve with cornbread I use the recipe on package of cornmeal.

I found this on Vintage Victuals and made a couple of changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dymphna